A disappointing end to the summer season followed by some off season drama and a division of the Whalers organization/franchise into two independent teams meant the new Winter 10/11 season got off to a weird start to say the least. But alas, things are settled now and THE GRIND IS ON. We wish each respective branch of the organization all the best in their winter seasons.
The Grind is only truly on when we start to play multiple times a week and the weather turns cold. Weather actually turned cold and a bit of early snow appeared a few weeks ago now — so the last ingredient to fall into place remains: Playing at Pickering.
Zamboni ‘rink rat’ friends are busy and all nods, and everything is frozen and a go down the old ‘Diet Coke Barn’, so we’re all set.
Here is a couple highlight links floating around the past while to get the winter season rolling and freshen up IARL again (to go with freshened up logo!).
- Super Mario …Skates?: MLX Custom Skate brand
- Gong Show Apparel : homegrown Ottawa apparel company with a ton of hardcore hockey tees and hats etc.
- If you didn’t see it already on TSN, Jordan Eberle really pissed off his new Oiler teammates with that season opener showcase goal: Who does he think he is?
- Flat Bottom V: while not new to the area (it is an Ontario invention after all), people are still talking about this sharpening technology. Word has it that more and more players on NHL teams are using it regularly, and that fact coupled with some teammate peer pressure will surely push most serious and rec heads to use it. Just gotta find the contact at the local pro shop who’ll cut ya a deal now yeah?
Check out this NYTimes article New Skate-Sharpening Method Takes Hockey by Storm that has a little visual feature on how it works.
- And of course the title image for this post needs some explanation, and what would an IARL post be without some Ovie! CCM put out an Ovechkin halloween mask pdf for printing! Brilliant! Best random halloween mask idea in ages. [Download pdf here]
Of course, it ties in with their equally wacky ad campaign which some props are due for as well: Soon the Championship will be ours. All ours.